How to Reduce Scarring After Plastic Surgery
Your concern about scarring after plastic surgery could be the only thing holding you back from undergoing a tummy tuck, breast augmentation, or another body enhancement procedure. By employing a few strategic tactics after your procedure, you can reduce scarring and maximize your results. If you do end up with unsightly scars, Dr. Taleisnik can perform scar revision to improve the appearance and quality of your skin.
What You Can Do to Reduce Scarring
- Choose a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon: Working with a board-certified plastic surgeon will maximize your likelihood for excellent results with minimal scarring.
- Use Topical Agents and Creams: Vitamin E, aloe vera, cortisone, lotions, creams, and other topical agents moisturize the skin to help it heal better.
- Receive Cortisone Injections: Cortisone injections can soften and shrink hard scars.
- Wear Silicone Sheets: Silicone gel sheets minimize the tension at the incision site so that scarring is flatter and more minimal.
- Don’t Smoke: Smoking inhibits oxygen flow and makes it more difficult for the body to heal, and this can lead to worse scarring.
- Avoid Sun Exposure: Sunlight can darken the pigment of the skin, making scar tissue more prominent and noticeable.
- Wear Sunscreen: When sun exposure is unavoidable, wear sunscreen to protect your scar against UVA and UVB rays.
- Obey Postoperative Instructions: Dr. Taleisnik’s postoperative instructions can help you have the best surgical results with the least amount of scarring.
- Eat a Nutritious Diet: Healthy nutrients help prevent infections or complications that could potentially worsen scarring.
- Stay Hydrated: Staying hydrated keeps your skin and body systems fully functional, which can help your body to heal with better scar quality after surgery.
- Use embrace®: Some scars that have tension on them, especially following a tummy tuck or breast lift/reduction, may benefit dramatically from use of embrace®. This is a silicone gel sheet that also decreases the tension on the scar, and is the BEST product available to improve scar quality.
How to Fix Unsightly Scars
Scars take a while to mature, and what at first may seem like an ugly scar can fade away to become almost unnoticeable. Nonetheless, while most scars will fade and soften, some can remain prominent. Scar revision can be performed many months after your original procedure to improve the appearance of unsightly scars that are wide, raised, or red. Dr. Taleisnik can cut out the scar tissue and release the skin, allowing a more precise tissue closure to minimize wound tension. As with any surgical procedure, the result of scar revision depends on the patient’s own healing characteristics. However, in most cases, the resulting scar is far more acceptable in appearance than the original scar tissue.
If you would like to learn more about how to reduce scarring after plastic surgery, schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Taleisnik. Dr. Taleisnik would be happy to answer all your questions. To schedule your appointment, please call (714) 835-2825 or complete our online contact form today.