Breast Sagging at a Young Age: Why It Happens and What You Can Do About It
It’s normal to expect some breast sagging when you are in your fifties. But what if you’re only in your twenties or thirties? Here are some reasons you might experience breast sagging in your twenties and what you can do to keep your breasts looking perky and youthful.
Smoking decreases blood supply to the skin, which causes dehydration, a reduction in flexibility and elasticity, and premature aging in the skin. It also loosens and weakens the ligaments. This ultimately leads to premature breast sagging (ptosis) along with a variety of other known negative health effects.
- What You Can Do: Avoid smoking! If you smoke, quit today and you will significantly improve your health, reduce your risk of breast ptosis, and even look younger longer.
2. Weight Loss and Yo-Yo Diets
A reduction in body fat can result in looser skin in certain areas like the breasts. Therefore, significant weight loss can unfortunately lead to some tissue sagging. Yo-yo dieting or crash dieting also causes breast tissue to slacken over time, even if it is only 20 to 30 pounds each time.
- What You Can Do: Avoid trendy diets. Live a healthy lifestyle that you can sustain, marked by regular exercise and a nutritious diet. Maintaining a healthy weight now will allow you to avoid this issue entirely. Even if you aren’t as thin as you would like, maintaining a weight that is stable and within a healthy range for your body will reduce your risk of breast sagging and help your breasts stay firm.
3. Oversized Breasts
Having larger breasts leads to a greater likelihood of breast ptosis simply because higher breast mass is heavier and more vulnerable to the effects of gravity.
- What You Can Do: Maintain a healthy body weight, as being overweight contributes to oversized breasts and premature sagging. If you are already at a healthy weight and have overly large breasts due to genetics, a breast reduction might be appropriate. Breast reduction surgery can restore aesthetic balance to a woman’s figure and reduce complications associated with oversized breasts, such as chronic pain, chafing, difficulty exercising, and early breast sagging.
Hormones during pregnancy cause the breasts to expand and shrink, which may lead to early sagging. This can be exacerbated by having multiple pregnancies and by having rapid weight fluctuations before and after each pregnancy.
- What You Can Do: While planning for your family, prioritize your body by adopting a manageable healthy lifestyle that will help you to control your weight before, during, and after pregnancy. Although this will not fully prevent all breast sagging due to pregnancy, it will reduce your risk of breast sagging and help you maintain a stable body weight.
5. Poor Breast Support
Poor breast support may make the breasts more vulnerable to gravity and stretching. Additionally, during any cardiovascular exercise in which the breasts tend to bounce around, the skin of the breasts may become looser and more stressed.
- What You Can Do: Make sure that you are professionally fitted for a bra, including a sports bra, and that you wear the appropriate bra for each activity. Also, consider switching up your exercise routine to include some higher impact and some lower impact activities so that you are not putting the same pressure on your breasts every day.
6. Hormone Imbalances
Hormone levels affect many things, including the breasts. A decrease in estrogen levels may diminish tissue collagen, which can lead to sagging, shapeless breasts.
- What You Can Do: Have your hormone levels tested by your doctor to see whether this could be a cause of your breasts sagging while young. Ensuring that your hormones are balanced will have a positive affect on the appearance of your breasts and a wide range of other health aspects.
Solutions for Sagging, Deflated Breasts
If you’ve tried everything you can control and you’re still experiencing breast ptosis while young, a breast lift could be right for you. Breast lift surgery can restore firm, supple, and lifted breasts that will preserve your youthful figure.
If you are dissatisfied with early breast sagging as well as a small breast size or breast volume deflation, consider getting a breast lift with augmentation. Many candidates for breast lift surgery choose to add implants to improve fullness in the upper part of the breasts. Combining these procedures can help create youthful and attractive feminine curves.
To learn more about breast lift surgery, schedule your personal consultation today with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Andres Taleisnik.